Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Way of the World

So tomorrow is the day. I'm participating in Rugged Maniac as part of Team Core. I couldn't be happier! We even have team tank tops for girls and sleeveless shirts for the guys. We are going to look impressive.

My mom decided she wanted to be a spectator so she is coming along. I have mixed feelings about it. First I'm happy and excited my mom wants to come see me accomplish this. It kind of makes me feel like a kid, wanting to show my mom what I can do, have her be proud of me. On the other hand I'm worried because that means she'll be alone majority of the day and I'll feel guilty. Then of course I'm worried how I may look to the team members bringing along my mom. Will they think less of me? Find me immature? But then, I love my mom, even if we have our issues I like sharing parts of my life and experiences with her. However I also don't want her to feel as though she's a third wheel...So yeah. Many mixed feelings on the subject.

I'm excited for the run but I'm also really nervous. I was nervous at Mudderella as well but at least with that I ended up starting by myself so I didn't really have to keep up with anyone. I worry that the group might be too big for me to click with anyone in particular but then I also worry I may not be quite as in shape as everyone else to truly live up to the challenge of being in the pack rather then behind it. Either way, I guess we shall see.

As excited as I am to be participating in this run I'm also rather bummed about it. Right this very second, as I type these words, my boyfriend and a large group of our friends are out on a weekend camping trip. A camping trip I would be at as well if it weren't for the $86 ticket I purchased and the absolutely no refund policy of Rugged Maniac. Originally the boyfriend and I were invited to the trip but he wasn't going to be able to get off of work so I decided not to go either. Sleeping alone, in a dark tent, in the forest with all the sounds of the night and all the creepy crawlies is not something I'm confident enough to do. However his work position and schedule changed recently and he was able to go. Sadly. Obviously. I was not. So now they are all out there, drinking, laughing and enjoying one another's company and I sit here in my room. Sad and alone. 

Although I'm very happy the boyfriend got to go, I miss him. I also miss the opportunity to spend time with him and our friends. Hopefully he will have an excellent time. He really and truly deserves it. On the bright side he's on vacation all next week and I already set my time aside to spend it with him. We are supposed to head up to his parents house in jersey and enjoy the sun and the sand. Beaches, booze and snuggles. What could be better?  

On Sunday I have a fun brunch planned with my best friend of 14+ years and a newer close friend who I have known for just as long. We went to elementary school together but lost touch for a while. Now we are closer then we have ever been. So the three of us are set to enjoy some eggs, some mimosas and some time reminiscing. I made the reservation and we are all set to meet at a place that (fingers crossed) still has an unlimited drink menu.

So hopefully I will be far to busy in the next two days to have any time to be disappointed about my inability to go camping. Even if that does mean I'm missing out on all the sangria and s'mores.

No comments:

Post a Comment